The most requested thing for dinner around here? Noodles. With butter.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Wish List

Remember the days of the big Sears Christmas Toy Catalog? I think they called it a Wish Book.
My brothers and I would stretch out on the floor and gaze at the displays in order to play "What's Your Favorite Thing On This Page?" for every single page.

Oh, the coveting!

Funny. I don't remember if I ever received one thing from the Wish Book. I might have. I got some good presents over the years, but I don't specifically remember anything fulfilling the wishes in that catalog.

My kiddo made a wish list. It's really quite sweet and not nearly as grandiose as the wishes my brothers and I had. Her wish list is for a few books, a few DS games, some footy pajamas, and some time spent with me. She wants to go ice-skating with me, sleep in my bed, drink hot chocolate, play in the snow, and drive around looking at Christmas lights. Simple. Inexpensive. Easy to fulfill.

We started with the light displays. Armed with a list from the local paper, we aimed for the bigger displays so as to get more bang for our gas mileage. Here's a few shots from the west side of town- ending at our house:
I'm saving the east side for when we go ice skating because that is where the rink is.

As for the rest of her list? Check back here in about a week...

I will tell you that I don't go overboard with gifts. Other than a bit of candy stocking stuffers, I keep it to four gifts. I got the idea from a poem that dates from the Victorian era. It suggests you should get:

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear,
Something to read.

With her wish list, the same gift could cover both something to wear and something she wants!

How about you? What's on your wish list?