The most requested thing for dinner around here? Noodles. With butter.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Project Before and After- Chairs

I like to have rolling stools for the computer stations in my classroom. It's easier for the kids to push rolling stools under the counter than to push in regular chairs. Once the stools are all under the counter, it gives my classroom a cleaner, less cluttered look.

Last summer, I went on craigslist and asked for inexpensive rolling office chairs- I didn't even care if the backs were functioning, I basically wanted a seat and good wheels. I got three of these for $10, and the fourth one just showed up in my classroom one day. I didn't have time or money to do anything other than dust them off, but this year I decided to spiff them up a bit. I took off all the seats, sprayed them liberally with Lysol, waited for them to dry, and covered them with gray vinyl. I removed the dust covers on the bottoms, and put them back on after I stapled on the vinyl, but I didn't remove the old fabric. I guess I didn't really want to see how disgusting the foam might be...
The metal bases got a good cleaning and a solid coat of gray primer before I sprayed on two coats of the metallic blue. For the most part, the painting went very well, but occasionally a wrinkle appeared in the paint. So I had to sand out the wrinkles before putting on the last coat of blue. I hate it when paint does that, because I hate sanding. The weird thing is there was no rhyme nor reason to the wrinkles- they were just random. Argh.


Here are the finished beauties in my classroom- just waiting for new 6th grade butts to support: