The most requested thing for dinner around here? Noodles. With butter.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Before, and during the party.

The sofa is ready.

The fireplace is ready.

The table is ready.

The dessert is ready.

The fry bread is ready.

The fixins are ready.

The whole spread is ready.

The people are happy.

So happy.

So, I made Navajo Tacos for dinner.  Navajo Tacos are pretty much like regular tacos except you put the fixins on fry bread instead of on chips or in taco shells.  I made the fry bread using a recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  I am not very good at making fry bread.  I should have made them flatter and bigger.  They are supposed to fold into a pseudo-taco shell shape that you can hold in your hand, but these were too small so we used knife and fork. 

And, I didn't use ground beef, I used ground bison.  Bison (American Buffalo) is a bit sweeter than beef, much leaner than beef, and better for you.  Since I was using bison, I thought maybe I should go with a combination I saw on the food channel- bison ribs with huckleberry bbq sauce.   I bought some huckleberry chutney and some huckleberry bbq sauce and mixed them to make my own huckleberry salsa.  It was pretty stinkin' good if I do say so myself.

While I was making all those changes to regular tacos, I decided on shredded cabbage instead of shredded lettuce.  I like the crunchiness of cabbage.  Lettuce just gets all wilty on hot taco meat.  Besides, sometimes people serve pulled pork sandwiches with cole slaw on the sandwich instead of on the side. Why not on tacos?  Cabbage rules!

For dessert I made chocolate chip pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting.  So. Very. Easy.
1 box spice cake mix (don't add anything they say on the box, just use the dry mix).  1 15 oz. can of pumpkin.  1 cup semi-sweet choc chips.  Mix.  Bake according to the directions on the box.
1 can cream cheese frosting (I think it was Pillsbury.)  Put a few choc chips on the top.  Done.  

We were going to sit out by the fire pit and talk over old times, but it started raining and we voted to stay in.  It was a great evening.