The most requested thing for dinner around here? Noodles. With butter.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Po brings it.

Kung Fu Panda 2. A simple movie about a panda's desire to do the right thing and save Kung Fu and generally be AWESOME.
Except, it's deeper than that. Read this review
You see, in this sequel, Po finds out why he was raised by a goose father instead of by his birth pandas.

I won't spoil it by telling you the full story, let's just say the whole thing raised questions about

adoption

abandonment

commitment

love

destiny

and China.

I didn't know this was going to happen. My first clue was when my Chinese daughter was sobbing and wiping her eyes with the back of her sleeves about halfway through the show. I moved the theater seat arm rest so I could hug her and she blubbered, "That's like me."
I whispered, "I know." and we snuggled together for the rest of the movie.
At the end she said, "I don't think we should buy this DVD, mom." and I told her that we didn't have to.

We had more discussions at home, many of them trying to grapple with the idea of eventually meeting her birth people. She would like to go to China to accomplish this. I would like to as well. She also realizes that such a meeting might never happen, and to that end, she often prays her birth people would accept Jesus and she would get to see them in Heaven.

I don't know if it will ever work out logistically to take a trip back to China. I don't know if such a trip would raise more questions than it answers.

I do know that sometimes I see her as just one of many, many girls from China that have been adopted by American parents, but she sees herself as the only one who has had this experience.
It doesn't matter how many kids she knows at school who are adopted, or how many Chinese-American girls there are in her Sunday School group. She is unique, and is the only one who knows what it is like to be her. Our discussions remind me of that fact, and I am again humbled by her spirit and her courage. I know this is just one of the many times we will share these thoughts as she grows older and her perspectives change and mature.

Toward the end of the movie, Po and his (adoptive) dad enjoy some quality time and we are all reminded that there a strong bond between them. So it is with me and Ab.

Thanks for the reminder, Po. You ARE awesome.