The most requested thing for dinner around here? Noodles. With butter.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sew what?

This used to be a canvas tote bag- you know, the kind they give you at conferences or seminars with the company logo on it and you take it home and it sits in your closet waiting for something to carry...

I had nothing for it to carry, poor tote bag, so I cut it up and made it into a holder for all kiddo's colored pencils (Crayola Twistables- they don't need sharpening.)

Each pencil slides nicely into its own little slot, and then you fold the two sides together,
roll it into a pouch, and tie it with the attached strap (which used to be one of the handles of the aforementioned tote bag).

My budding artist can take this on THE TRIP and even if it tips over, the pencils won't spill out all over the rental car.

I know some of you out there are just drooling over this and wanting a pencil pouch all your own. I would tell you exactly how to make this except I sort of did it on the fly and have only one specific measurement to give you: the spaces for the pencils must be exactly 18 mm apart. That is snug enough so the pencils won't slide out on their own, but loose enough so the kids can slip them in and out easily while coloring.

How did I come to the conclusion that it had to be 18 mm?

Math.

I also have a warning:

Canvas tote bags are horrible to re-purpose. The fabric frays like crazy and it is THICK. It is so thick that I broke two of my sewing machine needles. Wimpy needles. Get some backbone.
My mom gave me some of her more macho needles and those did not break.

They bent. 90 degrees.

Needless (and needle-less) to say, I will not be making any more of these. I won't help you if you try to make one and you get stuck. Don't call me for help, I will just laugh at you.

I warned you.