The most requested thing for dinner around here? Noodles. With butter.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Never get a poodle.

Our vet told us that poodles are known for having bad teeth.  Apparently, that applies to poodle-mixes as well because our schnoodle has awful teeth.  I wish the humane society would have clued us in to that little fact when we got him because he spent the day at the vet's - having multiple extraction$$$.

They have to put a dog under anesthesia in order to pull teeth.  Poor guy.  He's still groggy and resentful.  He wouldn't look at me when I picked him up from the vet.  All the way home he sat on my lap and whined softly and looked away.  I gave him some soft food with his medications buried in the mix.  He wasn't interested.  All he wanted to do was sit on the rug and glare balefully at me.  After about an hour, he licked up some of the food and then snuggled into his bed.  He didn't want to sit with me on the couch.

He has now taken up residence at my feet. Still moaning softly.  He keeps looking at the bandage on his leg where they put the IV.  Like it's my fault or something.  Poor sad schnoodle.

After about 10 days he can try crunchy food again.  Hard food is good for dogs because it sort of acts like a tooth brush.  I still find it a bit weird that we have to brush his teeth.  I mean, wolves do just fine and no one brushes their teeth.  I know, I know... wolves crunch bones and that is what cleans off their teeth.  It would be great if that method worked for Friday, but I just can't see him hunting down his prey and crunching the bones.  He can't even keep the moles out of the back yard.  I think we'll stick with crunchy foods and an occasional brushing.

I hope he is back to his old snuggly self tomorrow.