The most requested thing for dinner around here? Noodles. With butter.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I just lost my daughter...

I just lost my daughter to a read-a-thon.
Her teacher is giving various prizes for reading during the next six days. Every three hours jumps you up to the next prize level. Free homework passes, extra recesses, and the grand-daddy of them all- sitting in the teacher's chair and making schedule decisions for a whole day.
To win the big one, you must read at least 18 hours in six days. Teacher said that in her whole career, no one had ever reached that level.
Guess who decided she was going to do it?
Yup.
I was kind of impressed by her gumption. She and I discussed the whole thing during dinner, and I showed her various ways she could accomplish the task if she wanted to. To understand the size of the task, I gave her 18 paper circles and we spread them out on the table in six groups. I knew she could not get three hours per night- especially when she has basketball on Friday.
This is what she came up with:
She also decided that she would give me one paper circle every time she accomplished an hour of reading. Very visual- kind of like cutting off a link in a paper chain that counts down the days till Christmas.
Smart kiddo.
I wonder what I am going to do on Saturday and Sunday while she is reading?
(Duh- scrapbook. :->)

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!! Awesome that your daughter is going to accomplish this daunting task!!!! I hope you find "something" to do this weekend! LOL!!!! And sending a great big THANK you for your prayers and the prayers from your Bible study group for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you posted this a while back but I can't find a follow up post. Did your daughter manage it all? Was it silent reading or reading out loud?
    My kids get a small cash 'prize" for every booked read out loud to us, the money ranges from 20 Euro cents for a tiny book with big letters, many picture etc to Euro 5,-- for difficult or thick books.
    They don't get pocket money any other way except Maths practice work so they are really motivated :)
    Love to hear how your daughter did on this... has the teachers career record been broken?

    btw, I'm trying to subscribe to your blog but keep getting error messages :(
    Grr at the moment I'd just settle for this comment to post successfully...the Blogger platform is terrible for this sadly. Every time I push "publish' it says "redirecting", waits and then does nothing.. I'll keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi kiwi,
    I'm sorry this is behaving badly... I have no words of wisdom for you because I am rather clueless when it comes to computery things. I know how to do a lot of things and then... it just ends. At least the comment got published. Not sure what is up with the subscribing part.

    As for the follow-up to the story... yes, she read every hour that was required for the prize, and then some. Unfortunately, she missed turning in a piece of homework and had many of her hours deleted. The read-a-thon was not mandatory, and homework comes first in her teacher's big book of rules-and-regulations-that-must-be-followed-or-we-all-will-die...

    It was a hard lesson to learn in following all directions. I could see part of the teacher's point, but not all of it, especially since my kiddo never misses turning in work. I walked a tightrope for awhile- wanting to support my kid's incredible effort and yet trying to not go against what the teacher had stipulated (even though it wasn't stipulated clearly). There were hard feelings and tears, but we aren't bitter about it and I think some time in the future, she might attempt another read-a-thon.

    So you can see that it was tough to blog about. In the end, she read some good books (that she still quotes), and I bought her a new Nook book to celebrate what I thought was a first-rate effort. I guess we'll just chalk it up to experience!

    ReplyDelete