The most requested thing for dinner around here? Noodles. With butter.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Curiouser and curiouser

It has been windy and wet this morning.

The house has been rattling, the screens on the windows have been waving, and the dog almost got blown off course when he went to investigate yet another mole-hole in the backyard.

I was standing at the kitchen window, watching him brave the wind and rain when something flashed past me at eye level.

A leaf... that was my first thought. But, no! It came back into view from the other direction and it hovered momentarily in front of the window... a hummingbird! A dazed, confused, blown-about-by-every-wind-of-nature hummingbird!

Poor little thing. I don't even have a hummingbird feeder. I have some multicolored patio lights, which it probably mistook for a feeder, but I have no actual food for a hummer. It must have been eating somewhere, but not at my house.

If I were the kind of person that wore a camera at all times, I would have been able to snap a photo for you. But, I am not that kind of person (contrary to popular belief).

I'm not sure if this sighting is a sign of global climate change (whatever that means), or a nudge to me to go to the store and get a hummingbird feeder. Regardless, glimpsing a bird like that is always a reminder of my Father's care for all his creation- including me.

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not more valuable than they?" Matthew 6:26 NIV